Welcome!

I'm not a professional photographer. I'm just a lady with a camera who has some pictures and stories to share.

Can You Hear Me Now?

I've been doing a lot of online research in preparation for our upcoming Yellowstone trip.  There are facebook pages, message boards, blogs and other sites out there just full of helpful information.  But the question that seems to pop up a lot is  "Will I have cell coverage?".  While most of Yellowstone is a cell phone dead zone, some areas of the park like The Old Faithful Lodge do have coverage for SOME carriers.  Apparently, this is a big deal for some folks.  So much so that they discuss switching carriers or buying a pay as you go phone for their trip. Some are just indignant that Yellowstone, being such a popular vacation destination, offers no coverage.  Do they REALLY want cell towers erected in the park?  I guess it ultimately depends on what you are hoping to get out of your trip.  Are you there to get a glimpse of what our nation looked like before it was settled by man or are you there to upload pictures of Old Faithful to Facebook via your iPhone?  Isn't the point of a vacation to "get away" ?  Now, I must admit that I love my iPhone. But it has little to do with the actual phone part. Phone calls and texts actually get on my nerves because they interrupt what I really use my phone for...the interent.  I am a Google addict and find it comes in VERY handy while travelling.  I also like the fact that I can check weather radar with the click of a button.  But I have to say that the times I don't have cell coverage are liberating.  I'm more aware and present.  And while I may not be able to snap a photo and share it on Facebook, I come away with something  precious and unrecordable by technology... a memory of  truly experiencing the emotion of the moment.  So I, for one, am glad there will be no cell coverage in Yellowstone.  The phone will stay in my bag and I will stay in the moment.  Who knows, I may go completely old school and send a few postcards... 

No comments:

Post a Comment