Welcome!

I'm not a professional photographer. I'm just a lady with a camera who has some pictures and stories to share.

Accidental Activist

When I wrote my last blog entry, I had no idea it would get so much attention.  If you look at all of the previous entries, although few, it is obvious that this blog was not designed around activism. It was designed so that I could share the pictures I take and the stories surrounding them.  I never planned on my blog being read by anyone other than the people I know and love.  So the fact that my day long, emotional journey concerning gas drilling around my Aunt's lake house struck a chord with so many people I didn't know came as a huge shock to me.  But as my blog began to be shared on various sites I realized that the reason it struck a chord was because it wasn't written from a political or environmentalist point of view.  It wasn't about how anyone else felt or thought about the drilling.  It wasn't based on facts or studies.  It was based on my emotions and thoughts as I dealt with the possibility of drilling activity around a place near and dear to my heart.  Along with the positive feedback, I also received some emails complaining that my writing was not based in fact.  That I was only telling one side of the story.  That I needed to visit this website or that website to get the real story.  That I needed to make sure I was using proper names of equipment.  I was even told  "Don't become an Arkansas version of Josh Fox".   To those people I have this reply.  This was an account of my experiences.  There are no other sides to present because no one else can experience my emotions or thoughts.  Visiting a website that explains the economic virtues of drilling isn't going to make it beautiful to me.  I don't care if calling a piece of equiment by the wrong name made me less credible to readers.   I wasn't trying to change anyone's mindIn fact, I closed my entry admitting that I didn't have the answers.  I believe that everything happens for a reason.  That we are steered in the direction we are meant to go.  My blog led me to an amazing group of people who are fighting to make drilling as environmentally friendly as possible.  It also led me to them at a pivotal moment in their fight and I was so honored and humbled to be a part of it. I also had the pleasure of witnessing some very special young people in my life become interested enough in the environment to spend two nights learning more. Casey, Joey, Jackson and Hannah... I am so proud of you for taking an interest and a stand even when it puts you at odds with many of your friends.  I look at you and know the future is bright.  Last week I was actually amused having someone warn me about becoming Josh Fox, because when I wrote the blog, he was simply the guy who made Gasland.  I only used his movie trailor because it was the shortest video explaining the fracking process on YouTube.  But after my blog led me to those amazing people, they led me to the opportunity to meet Josh in person.  I got to hear him answer questions in a panel discussion.  He sat up there with no note cards or talking points.  He answered questions from people who were unhappy with the drilling and from people in support of the industry.    No representatives of the gas industry were willing to do that.  This was their opportunity to "Debunk Gasland" in person and they didn't take it.  That, to me, speaks volumes and I can think of no higher compliment than for someone to think I could ever become an Arkansas version of him.  When I wrote that blog a week ago, I wasn't an activist.  But thanks to that blog, I am now. 


2 comments:

Christy Carr said...

Wonderful blog...especially the last two posts. Happened to run across the blog while on the Gasland page. We were at the panel discussion at Hendrix and happened to be on the stage when you and the kids were taking this photo. I was there with my 14 year old daughter who has become as engrossed in is as I have...well, not quite. I became moderately interested in fracking when the fish kill occurred. Then I happened upon "Gasland.". Not to be overdramatic, but it was life-changing. One of those things I wish I didn't know, but cannot forget. I have watched it several times since that night. When I heard that Josh Fox was coming to Hendrix I knew I had to be there. Your title, "Accidental Activist" describes my feelings exactly. I am a small town lawyer, mother and wife who lives 3 hours from any fracking. But, I am consumed with this. Cannot shake that nagging feeling that I should be doing something...anything...besides just watching this train wreck. I should be doing something to stop it...to help. I thi what you are doing with the blog and the photos is amazing. I look forward to seeing more from you and have a feeling that somehow what you are doing will lead me somewhere in this. When you were on the stage with the kids, holding your camera and telling Josh that those kids had become huge fans and activists...I was doing the same and feeling the same with my daughter. Surely that is more than coincidence. I have a great photo of my daughter and josh from that night. When she posted it to my facebook that night during our long drive home, her caption read that it was a photo of her with her new hero. She "got it"...just as I knew she would. I am so proud of her and your group of kids as well. What next?

Unknown said...

Beautifully expressed. Not only can you photograph, but you can write.
Invaluable assets in this battle, use them well and never give up!

Post a Comment