Welcome!

I'm not a professional photographer. I'm just a lady with a camera who has some pictures and stories to share.

Thank You Larry Glenn Eason

Yesterday while en route to Magness Lake to see the Trumpeter Swans, I missed the turn to the lake.  The next available place to turn around was a small cemetery.  As I made my way down the gravel drive that circled around the back of the cemetery,  I found myself looking at the most beautiful headstone I'd ever seen.  Everyone in the van was awestruck at the sight of it.  I stopped my van and found myself frantically reaching for my camera while simultaneously opening my van door.  I jumped out and started taking pictures without even looking at my settings! I paused as I realized how ridiculously I was behaving.  Obviously, this shot wasn't going anywhere.  So I calmed down, adjusted my settings, found the composition I was looking for and took a few shots. As I drove away I realized I had just experienced what Oprah calls "an Aha! moment".  When I get rushed and frantic I'm trying to MAKE a moment happen instead of just being fully present to record the moment as it happens naturally.  As I pulled into the parking lot of Magness Lake, I took my time changing my camera lens, checking the settings and attaching it to the monopod.  As I surveyed the best place to photograph from, I didn't focus on angles or composition.  Instead I just went to the place along the fence that "felt right".  I took time to enjoy the experience of just being with the swans.  I took a few shots just to see if my settings were okay, then went back to just watching.  It was then that a huge swan began ruffling his feathers as if to let say "Hey, I'm about to do something pretty magnificent.  You might want to get your camera".  I found myself pointing my camera and just holding the button down as he flapped his large angelic wings. I knew, without looking at the LCD display, that I had just captured a special moment.  Thank you Larry Glenn Eason.  Because of you, I learned that you get the best shots by enjoying the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment